Thursday, December 8, 2011

Don't know if I should post this.

My last post was toward the end of March.  That was the last time I went to the endocrinologist because the every-other-month blood tests went from costing zero out-of-pocket to $170.  I haven't felt like it has helped me much and I'm thinking of switching to a different doctor.  Although I started posting to this blog regularly as a personal health update, my primary concern since October has been Bonk, one of our five cats, and the one who has personally assigned me as HIS person.

Some people (maybe most) won't/don't understand this.  This posting is not for you.

I'm not sure how much I want to go into.  Please be warned, if you love animals, or are easy-to-cry, this will probably be 'one of those'.

We noticed Bonk acting pretty lethargic one night in October.  The next day he seemed worse, so the hated trip to the vet ensued.  His RBC (red blood count) was in the single digits, so we took him to Hawthorne Animal Hospital in Glen Carbon and the nice people there gave him his first blood transfusion.  After a blood draw the next day, he stumbled a bit and since his count was so low, they put him on oxygen and we rushed him to VSS in Manchester, MO.  He spent about a week and a half there and got five more blood transfusions and a bone marrow aspiration to try to find the cause of the trouble.  He was diagnosed with IMHA, or Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia.  He was negative for Feline Leukemia, Feline AIDS, and inconclusive for cancer.  So, no idea what caused it.  Just so you know, ONE blood transfusion is supposed to last for 30 to 40 days.  He went through SIX in a ten days.  Needless to say we were out of our minds with fear of the worst and the doctors really didn't think he had much of a chance.  Our miracle kitty rallied and that sixth transfusion held.  We took him home and had to run him up to the vet for a blood count every couple of days, then got to the point where we were supposed to wait a month.  He was producing his own blood cells again!
...

Friday, November 25th he was feeling bad again, so, at 6AM we ran him back out to Manchester and his RBC was 18 (cats should normally be in the mid- to high 30s -- but we had been happy to see anything in the mid-20s, if it was stable).  Sunday his counts were all down again at the local vet, so we ran him back to Manchester for an overnight stay and transfusion #7.  Monday night, he came home with an appointment for this morning (Wednesday, November 30th) for a full bone marrow biopsy.  They tried to get one before but were unsuccessful.

November 30th

So, now, he's spending the night in Manchester again waiting for transfusion #8.  If that works out, he goes under for the biopsy tomorrow.  We're hoping and praying that he makes it through that.  It's not a certainty.
If it's cancer, he'll have 2 months, at best, to share with us, or so says the prognosis.  If it's not cancer, we'll try changing up his medications and hope for the best.  He's a strong little guy and bucked the odds making it this far, so I hope to God that he can fight it out and stick around for YEARS.

But, I'm so scared.  I love him so much.


PS Friday, December 2nd is the 11th anniversary of Mercedes's death.  I'm not doing very well.

...

December 7th

Biopsy results came back last night.  All of his cell lines are gone.  All cells are being replaced with macrophages.  He's not in pain, but he's so exhausted.  He's holding on for us as long as he can.

We brought our bright-eyed, talkative boy home today.  We've both taken a nap with him and given him lots of petting, love, kisses, and praise for being such a great kitty.  He's enjoyed multiple shrimps.  Shannon's doing a tremendous job of barely holding it together because I can't.  I'm out of my mind with grief.  How someone deals with a sick kid, I'll never know.  I am so heartbroken; he has been my best buddy for so long now and soon he'll be gone.

December 8th @3:25 PM

He hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since last night.  He seems so worn out.  He keeps showing the sick eyes, but he's still alert and he's still Bonkie.  We have an appointment at 5.  Chicken Head is trying to make sure I'm alright.

10:52 PM

We were there when he was born and we were there when he died and we will never stop loving him.  I miss him so much and he's not here to cheer me up. I don't know what else to say.



We're still planning on having the Christmas party at the store from 4-8 on Saturday in celebration of Bonk's magnificence.