Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Actually Had A Really Good Day

We've participated in every Free Comic Book Day since the very first one in 2002, and we've had all kinds of experiences.  This year, despite the fact that my retailer-buddy in Texas, Brad, snatched Cullen Bunn & Brian Hurtt before we could get them, and Batgirl & Red Robin were no-shows, I personally had a great day.  R2D2 and the stormtroopers were a great hit, Dave did well and stuck around for most of the day, and neither Drew nor I collapsed despite him not getting his promised nap!  Audrey & Alyssa (our newest Twilight family members), did a great job, too.  Drew's girlfriend, Jen, stopped in for a good chunk of the day to help out, and as always the day couldn't have gone as smoothly without the help of Mom & Dad, Shannon's Mom - Deborah, Roger Henke (our Fun Ambassador - charming people off the streets), Tom,  and Tim.

Everybody seemed to have a good time, no one was greedy, and I can't thank all of you enough who appreciated our efforts with at least a small purchase!

Despite saying that I wouldn't do it this year, Shannon and I were up 'til 5:30AM putting on the finishing touches Friday night and then I was back up at the store by 9:15AM.  (Not as bad as last year - I never went home from Friday night.)  But, I'll tell you what:  This pituitary deal kicked my ass this year!  (For new readers, read back a few months to hear me whine about my health.)  I passed out for most of Sunday and Monday and STILL felt like crap.  (Wednesday is the big reveal of what 7 more vials of blood will tell me, yea!  I'll obviously let you guys know.)

Next year, more FREE books, no scavenger hunt at all, more attendance prizes between 11-2 (but not after).  Gotta think of something cool/fun for the afternoon...


Yeah, that's all I've got for now.

XOXO-
Brian